Setters are the leaders on the court for their volleyball team. All setters communicate with teammates for each point by using hand signals.
If you didn't know what which signal means, here is explanation.
• 4- High set to outside hitter - Signal : Four Fingers
• 41 - Quick shoot set to outside hitter - Signal: Hand in the shape of a gun
• Hut – Lob set to outside hitter a little faster than a 4 - Signal: Four Fingers flashing
• 32 - Set in between OH and MB 3-4 ft above net - Signal: Three fingers
• 1 - Quick set above setter to the middle - Signal: One finger
• 2 - High set in the middle in front of setter 3-4 ftabove net - Signal: Two fingers
• 31- Quick set to middle hitter in the three position (same as 32 but faster) - Signal: Three fingers
• Back Slide - Back set for middle pushed to the 5 position 3-4 ft above net - Signal: Flat rotating hand moving rapidly
• Front Slide – Quick set 3-4 ft in front of setter. Just like a “31” just a little closer to setter - Signal: Pinky and thumb extended (hang loose signal)
• Back A – Quick set right behind setter to RS or MB - Signal: Pinky finger pointed down
Right Side Hitter
o C - Back set to the right side hitter - Signal: 5 Fingers
• Back B - High back set in between setter and RSposition 3-4 ft above the net - Signal: Ring and pinky finger pointed down
• Back A – Vertical quick set just behind setter. Quicktempo set. (RS/MB) - Signal: Pinky finger pointed down
Tandema tandem play in volleyball is when one player follows behind the other when attacking.
An example of a tandem is having a middle hitter approach for a one set with the outsidehitter approaching to hit a two set. This is usually done with the outside hitterapproaching behind or right next to the middle hitter.
Tandems often confuse opponents because it is difficult to stay with both attackers, oftenforcing blockers to make a guess on which hitter to stay with.
A double quick is when two hitters approach to hit quick sets. A middle hitter approachingto hit a front one and a right side hitter approaching to hit a back one is a double quick.
An X or Cross is when hitters approach to hit crossing one another’s paths. A middleapproaching to hit a front one and the right side player coming around to hit a front two isan example of an X or cross.
Read previous WoV Blogs - Why Brazilians are good at volleyball, Top 15 most attractive male and female volleyball jerseys in 2016/2017, Pro Volleyball players' salaries, TOP 5 volleyball accessories in 21st century...
There are more blogs in WoV Blog section.